35 weird but useful things we bought using Amazon Prime

catty stacks

A cat condo is just one of the weird products we've purchased on Amazon.
Amazon

When you buy through our links, Insider may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.

  • You can buy almost anything on Amazon and get it delivered in just two days with Amazon Prime.
  • We asked our colleagues to share the weirdest yet most useful products they bought on Amazon.
  • The responses range from practical to comical and everything in between.

Thanks to Amazon Prime, whatever we order, we rarely have to wait longer than two days for it to arrive at our door. Sometimes our items even show up the same day.

But with great purchasing power comes some unusual choices.

I asked my Insider Inc. colleagues to share some of the weirdest things that they've bought on Amazon over the last few months.  From the practical (balsamic vinegar ) to the nostalgic (an updated version of Silly Putty ), to the strangely unique (a "Return to Sender" message stamp), Amazon is home to a variety of random products.

Here are the five best weird purchases you can make on Amazon:

  1. A cooling eye mask, $9.96
  2. A fabric defuzzer, $12.99
  3. A hot air popper, $20.59
  4. A LifeStraw, $14.89
  5. Incense bricks, $8.75

Given the random nature of these picks, we've decided to keep everyone anonymous. Responses have been lightly edited for grammar and length.

Check out 35 of our favorite weird but great Amazon Prime buys below:

A fabric defuzzer

Amazon

Conair Battery Operated Fabric Defuzzer/Shaver, $12.99

In our now-persistent quest to improve every bit of our home while we're stuck in it for inordinate amounts of time, my wife picked up this little bugger from Conair. She says that it's "incredibly effective," or more accurately, "That thing f@#ing works." That's about as emphatic an endorsement you can get as to how well this handheld fabric shaver removes lint and pilling from fabrics and clothing. Our pillows have honestly never looked so fresh.

An interactive cat toy

Amazon

Indoor Cat Interactive Swimming Fish Toy, $15.99

My life changed in 2020 when I adopted my adorable little kitten Sullivan. But in exchange for cuteness, sometimes all a cat wants is some entertainment. After exhausting myself with a number of options (including cat entertainment videos on YouTube and a virtual mouse app on iPhone), these battery-powered fish toys made Sullivan feel like he was in feline heaven. After you put the batteries in the fish and place them in a bowl, they wiggle around in the water to any cat's delight.

A cover to prevent pets from chewing through cables

Amazon

PetCable Cover, $14.99

No matter how many toys I buy for my cat, he just can't stop chewing on nearby cables and wires. This wasn't a huge problem until he completely chewed through a laptop charger last year and nearly hurt himself. That's why I've ordered several of these PetCable covers on Amazon. They're easy to install and are made of a durable nylon material and can be used on all sorts of electrical cables. I've been using them for months — they cover almost every exposed wire in my home — and Buddy has yet to chew through any of them.

Garlic hot sauce that goes with anything

Amazon

Jersey Bonfire The Original Black Garlic Hot Sauce, $13.45

If you're anything like me, hot sauce is a mandatory addition to almost every meal. I discovered Jersey Bonfire a couple of years ago at the New York City Hot Sauce Expo and was ecstatic when I realized its sauces are available on Amazon. This particular sauce has the right combination of rich texture, punchy garlic flavor, and just enough heat, making it ideal for just about anything: chicken, steak, pizza, eggs, and more. Plus, Jersey Barnfire sources all of its ingredients from local farms in New Jersey.

A hot air popper

Amazon

 Presto Poplite hot air popper, $20.59

Popcorn is actually a pretty healthy snack when it isn't popped in oil or covered in butter. This air popper is really fun to use and makes a nice big bowl of popcorn in about five minutes. A 1lb bag of popcorn kernels lasts a surprisingly long time (I keep it in the fridge because I read somewhere that you should). For under $30, you've got plenty of snacks in your house at any time.

A 'Return to Sender' message stamp

Amazon

Green Line 'Return to Sender' Message Stamp, $10.99

As an apartment-dweller who receives a lot of mail from people he has never met, this nifty $5 accessory gave me an official-looking way of sending the unwanted magazines and letters back from whence they came. Is it a necessary purchase? It's debatable. But there's something to be said about the satisfaction (and weird sense of authority) that comes with wielding this stamp like a gavel and sending away letters from credit card companies. Au revoir, 'exciting offer' from Capital One, you're not needed here.

Fidget-friendly Thinking putty

Amazon

Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty, $14.95

I'm a fidgety person who always needs to do something with my hands, so Aaron's Thinking Putty (think Silly Putty from your childhood, but better) is a godsend. This putty isn't sticky or messy: it only sticks to itself and never leaks or falls apart. Maybe I've just been good about keeping it clean, but it also stays the same color and doesn't get grimier over time.  I keep a few different tins on my desk for when I need to listen in on long meetings, but my favorite is this Infinite Nebula color.

Some balsamic vinegar

Amazon

Due Vittorie Oro Gold Balsamic Vinegar, $17.23

 I buy a lot of random condiments and recipe ingredients on Amazon, the latest of which is this absolutely delicious balsamic vinegar. It dresses up any meat and cheese board, and it's a great addition in salads too.

Cheese powder for popcorn

Amazon

Hoosier Hill Farm Cheddar Cheese Powder, $11.99

I generally eat pretty healthy, but I think I'm in love with this tub of powdered cheese. It's so good on popcorn, in mac and cheese, and sprinkled on any other sort of cracker, chip, etc. It's supremely cheesy and salty and delicious! This is honestly one of the best Amazon purchases I've made in years.

Mop slippers

Amazon

Selric Bear Mop Slippers, $12.99

From a treadmill to fake plants to books, I buy everything on Amazon. But the best thing I've ever bought would have to be these adorable Microfiber Mop Slippers. They clean my hardwood floors while I run around the apartment. Also my feet get really hot in shoes so I like that they're a flip flop style so my toes can breathe. And, they're and washable!

A funny mug

Amazon

Boston Warehouse Udderly Cows Mug, $12.79

My partner accidentally broke my cow mug while washing the dishes, and a replacement was ordered on Amazon within the hour. It brings me such joy ... I don't even like cows that much.

A cooling eye mask

Amazon

Kimkoo Gel Eye Mask, $8.88

Whenever I wake up with puffy eyes or just need to cool down on the couch over the summer, I pop this inside the freezer and then directly onto my face. I don't recommend leaving it in there for more than 15 minutes — your skin will scream at you — but it's good at de-puffing and cooling you down overall.

A bed frame

Amazon

Zinus 14-Inch SmartBase Platform Bed Frame (Queen), $99

I bought an entire bed frame off Amazon Prime Now.

For anyone who hasn't used it, Amazon Prime Now is Amazon's courier service. Basically, anything that's in the local warehouses can be shipped out to you within one or two hours.

It's a pretty mundane product, but you have to hand it to the company for nailing logistics down to the point where you can get a heavy, unwieldy package from Manhattan to Brooklyn for rock-bottom prices. (I tipped, generously.)

Apologies to the poor soul who had to load it onto the van for being that guy.

An electric toothbrush

Amazon

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, $64.50

I recently bought this toothbrush, and it has changed the way I look at brushing my teeth. It used to feel like a chore, but this takes the work out of it. It also seems really efficient, it's decently priced, has great battery life, and best of all, it runs for two minutes so I can't rush or underbrush.

Silicone wedding bands

Amazon

QALO Silicone Wedding Ring, $14.95 to $24.95 depending on size

My husband and I are really active and travel a lot, and we're always worried about destroying/losing our wedding rings when we're playing sports/hiking/swimming/staying in places we don't know much about, so for an anniversary present I bought us both these Qalo rings.

They're made of medical-grade silicone and they're super comfortable. Lots of users have switched to silicone rings permanently; I haven't gone that far yet, but I can see myself doing it in the future. Also, a couple started the company, and they do lots of philanthropic work. Cute.

Cheap earbuds

Amazon

MEE audio Sport-Fi M6 Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphones, $16.99

I was looking for some headphones to wear while exercising, but didn't want to shell out for a premium pair — I know I'd either destroy them or lose them. This pair was one of the cheapest I've ever purchased, but they are by far the best.

They clip to my shirt to stay put, a wire cinch keeps them from getting tangled on weight-lifting equipment, and they even come with a carrying pouch. When I'm exercising, they stay firmly in my ear, sound halfway decent, and simply will not die.

I've run in the rain with them, left them outside, and even stepped on them. And they come in some cool colors! Best $18 I've ever spent (editor's note: The price has since changed).

An adult coloring book

Amazon

"Lost Ocean" Coloring Book for Adults, $14.95

Who said coloring books are just for kids? I'm pretty fidgety, so I like keeping my hands occupied. A coloring book is a fun way to exercise creativity, mindfulness , and put my restlessness at bay. Plus, in the end, you're left with a pretty picture.

A candle lighter

Amazon

RONXS Rechargable Lighter, $9.99

I first read about this weird but very helpful candle lighter in my colleague Connie Chen's review, and I bought one immediately after. It's a small thing, but I love that I'm no longer wasting non-refillable plastic lighters thanks to a rechargeable version, and the flexible neck means I no longer have to contort my hand or even lift a candle to light one where it stands. Again, a small thing, but surprisingly very convenient.

Incense bricks

Amazon

Incienso de Santa Fe Pinon Incense Box (40-bricks), $8.99

I typically loathe incense, and find that they often leave behind a smell as equally offensive as stale cigarette smoke. But potpourri is expensive, and air fresheners just smell like ... air fresheners. In fact, they remind me of being in taxi cabs, and I tend not to want to feel like I'm sitting in the backseat of a taxi when I'm in my living room.

Alas, I've struck a compromise and found some incense I can not only stand but enjoy. Incensio de Santa Fe offers seven different scents, but they're all clean, compressed sawdust from the respective hardwood on the label. My favorite is piƱon (pine), which I find to offer the kind of fresh, bright, and uplifting aroma I like to keep flowing throughout my household.

A facial hair trimmer

Amazon

Panasonic Facial Hair Trimmer, $19.99

I recently bought this because I wanted to get rid of the peach fuzz that's on the side of my face, upper lip, and chin line. So far, I love it. The head pivots, which means it works with the contours of your face so it doesn't end up snagging at your skin. It also comes with eyebrow trimmers. While I don't use these attachments, for someone who is averse to plucking, waxing, or threading, this could be a great alternative.

A stud finder

Amazon

Zircon Stud Finder, $42.18

I wasn't sure what to get my dad for Father's Day. He can be pretty particular with gifts but he loves to play with new gadgets like they are toys. I was scrolling through Amazon and came across this stud finder. In reality, my dad knows where all the studs are in my family's house, but I figured he'd have fun going around the house scanning the walls ... I was right.

Sardines

Amazon

Wild Planet Sardines in Water, $34.80

I eat a lot of canned fish, and I'm not embarrassed to say it, even as someone who routinely catches their own fish and makes sure it hits the table within 24 hours. Canned fish is high in iron, and as easy as popping a can and toasting a bit of bread for a quick and affordable (I get a 12-pack for about $26), healthy snack.

I also end up spending a good deal less than I would were I to head to the local grocery in Brooklyn. This is an easy backup to have on hand for a snack, or part of a balanced meal, at a moment's notice. It also makes for good survival food, should disaster strike.

Food Coloring

Amazon

AmeriColor Food Coloring, $26.25

Any baker looking to expand their repertoire won't regret buying this food-coloring kit. A food blogger I follow uses it, and the range of colors you can create with it is really cool.